Civility Social Media Contest
|The challenge for each group is to make the social media campaign show the impact that cyberbullying has on individuals and how it can be stopped. Make the campaign interesting, fascinating and about how being civil can make a difference. The types of social media that could be included are:
Resources about civility will be made available to assist in the development of the campaign.
Civility is essential for the success of any society. It is grounded in respect and in an attitude of inclusiveness. When civility is practiced it is a reminder about the impact actions on others while contributing to the well being of family, community and society at large.
However, incivility in society is becoming the norm rather than the exception. With this in mind Masons feel they have a responsibility to become the ambassadors for restoring civility to our world. Masons are taught to meet each other upon the square and to treat each other with respect and dignity. One aspect of this is by setting an example and acting civilly towards everyone.
|Rules of Civility
Pay Attention/Listen. Listen intently when others are speaking.
Be Inclusive. Show respect for and appreciation of differences in ethnicity, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, education, and religion.
No Gossiping. Gossiping is one of the most hurtful behaviors and accomplishes nothing.
Be Respectful. Everyone deserves a certain level of respect; we all expect to be respected for who we are and what we have accomplished.
Build Relationships. Servant Leadership is about building relationships.
Use Constructive Language. Be mindful of the words you use, when you use them, and also of the words you speak through your non-verbal communications.
Take Responsibility. Don’t shift responsibility or place blame on other people.
BE THE DIFFERENCE
|Civility: ci·vil·i·ty səˈvilədē/ (noun)
Formal politeness and courtesy in behavior or speech.
"I hope we can treat each other with civility and respect".
Synonyms: courtesy, courteousness, politeness, good manners, graciousness, consideration, respect, politesse, comity
|Deadline information will be available at youthcivility.org
Prize: $1,000 donated to a charity of your choice.
More Information: www.youthcivility.org
Videos on Civility
List of Resources
Printed Materials on Bullying, Sexting, & Teen Suicide
10 Leading Causes of Unintentional/Violent Deaths, By Age
Social Media Bullying
National Crime Prevention Council
The Relationship Between Bullying & Suicide
Where To Get Help for Bullying
More Help if Being Bullied
Information on Underage Drinking
Underage Drinking in Washington State
The Civility Center
The Institute for Civility in Government
Civil Dialogue Exercise
5 Actions to Help Students Embrace Civility
Weber Shandwick Report on Civility
Stage of Life Civility Contest - Examples of Essays & Trends
This contest was developed with two thoughts in mind. Neither of them are ranked higher than the other.
1. How to assist the participating groups in promoting and growing their organizations.
2. To look at Civility in society today and how civil discourse can come to the forefront.
Within today's political and social environment civility has seemed to have taken a back seat. That needs to change! Young people have the social media awareness and know how to start bringing this issue to their communities.
This contest could be a start of the conversation on how to bring Civility to a higher level than ever before.
1. Must be associated with Washington DECA, DeMolay, Jobs Daughters or Rainbow Girls located in Washington State.
2. Must have an adult advisor involved.
3. There must be a minimum of 2 Social Media platforms used.
4. The sites must be in the top 12 sites used in the United States, as determined by Washington Masonic Charities. See flyer.
4. If a video is used it cannot exceed 3 minutes.
5. Civility must be the focus of the campaign.
6. How that focus is used is to be determined by the group.
The judging will be based on the following:
1. Number of views, retweets, likes or whatever measurement is used by the site.
2. Consistency of message through all platforms used.
3. The message about Civility that is used.
4. How imaginative the campaign is.
5. The type of media used.
There will be no weighting given to each category.
NO PURCHASE OR DONATION IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR DONATION DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: This Campaign is open only to those members of DeMolay, Job’s Daughters and Rainbow Girls who live in Washington State and work with an adult advisor.The Campaign is only open to legal residents of [list eligible countries and/or states], and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Washingtotn Masonic Charities are not eligible to participate in the Campaign. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of Washington Masonic Charities as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Campaign.
3. Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on [TBD] and ending [TBD]. All online entries must be received by [TBD].
4. How to Enter: The Campaign must be entered by Washington Masonic Charities by contacting Kurt Miller at Kurt@wa-masoniccharities.org.
5. Prizes: The Winner(s) of the Campaign (the “Winner”) will receive a cash prize that they will designate to a charity of their choice. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by Washington Masonic Charities . Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for Washington Masonic Charities to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
6. Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
7. Winner Selection and Notification: Winner will be selected by a committee under the supervision of Washington Masonic Charities. Winner will be notified by email within five (5) days following selection of Winner. Washington Masonic Charities shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within [30 days] from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER (AT Washington Masonic Charities ‘S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CAMPAIGN, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. Rights Granted by You: By entering this content (e.g., photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that Washington Masonic Charities, anyone acting on behalf of Washington Masonic Charities, and Washington Masonic Charities’ licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Campaign, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes. without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent. Optional verbiage for Contests: By entering this content, You represent and warrant that your entry is an original work of authorship, and does not violate any third party’s proprietary or intellectual property rights. If your entry infringes upon the intellectual property right of another, You will be disqualified at the sole discretion of Washington Masonic Charities. If the content of your entry is claimed to constitute infringement of any proprietary or intellectual proprietary rights of any third party, You shall, at your sole expense, defend or settle against such claims. You shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Washington Masonic Charities from and against any suit, proceeding, claims, liability, loss, damage, costs or expense, which Washington Masonic Charities may incur, suffer, or be required to pay arising out of such infringement or suspected infringement of any third party’s right.
9. Terms & Conditions: Washington Masonic Charities reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond Washington Masonic Charities ’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such case, Washington Masonic Charities may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Washington Masonic Charities . Washington Masonic Charities reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. Washington Masonic Charities has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, Washington Masonic Charities reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
10. Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless Washington Masonic Charities and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
11. Disputes: THIS Campaign IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF the U.S.A AND Washington state WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Campaign, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Campaign, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in [your state/province] having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Campaign). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
13. Winners List: To obtain a copy of the Winner’s name or a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: Washington Masonic Charities PO Box 65830 University Place, WA 98464.
14. Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Campaign is Washington Masonic Charities PO Box 65830 University Place, WA 98464
15. Facebook: If you use Facebook to communicate or administer a contest or sweepstakes, include the following: The Campaign hosted by Washington Masonic Charities is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook.
16. ___ By checking here, You, the Contestant, have affirmatively reviewed, accepted, and agreed to all of the Official Rules.